Viewing an apartment in Amsterdam
Congratulations! You have your first viewing scheduled for a new apartment in Amsterdam. But what is the best way to prepare for this viewing? In this article, Expat Rental Scout explains all the tips and tricks on how to make the most out of the viewing.
First of all, it’s best to prepare your viewing in advance. Make sure you bring everything you need and dress well. It’s important that you give the owner a good impression, to increase your chances. Be polite, make eye contact and be enthusiastic about the apartment (in case you like it of course). Take time to take pictures or videos of each room, so you can look back later. To be well prepared, bring the following documents:
- A copy of your passport
- A copy of your resume
- A copy of your employment contract, for your work in The Netherlands
- Bank account statements from each of the past 12 months
- If applicable, a filled-out rental application form
Put together a folder of these documents, and also have them ready digitally. In this way, you can easily show or email them to the owner or agent.
When it’s time to go to the actual viewing in Amsterdam, make sure to bring the following checklist with you. Even though Expat Rental Scout will attend and evaluate the viewing with you, this checklist contains important questions you can ask the owner for yourself.
- What is the monthly rent?
- What’s included in the rent?
- Which other expenses are there?
- If needed, does the residence include parking? If so, how much does it cost?
- Is the apartment furnished (if you didn’t know already)?
- What is the duration of the rental contract?
- What are the income requirements for this apartment?
- What is the deposit?
- How long is the notice period if I want to move out?
- Are there any issues with the apartment? (for example, technical issues)
- Which kinds of maintenance are my responsibility, and which are the owners.
- Who is the contact person for repairs or maintenance?
- (if applicable) are pets allowed?
After the viewing, Expat Rental Scout will evaluate the viewing with you. If you like the apartment we will discuss the next step and get all the documents in order!